Troubleshooting Proxmox Installation Issues: Fixing Black Screen Problem
Encountering difficulties during the installation process can be frustrating, especially when you’re eager to set up your Proxmox server. One common issue is a black screen that appears after initiating the installation. In this blog post, I’ll share two effective solutions to help you overcome this problem specifically when using a 4K monitor and an older graphics card. Follow these steps in order, starting with the first solution. If it doesn’t resolve the issue, proceed to the second solution.
My Home Lab Specs:
- Processor: Ryzen 5500
- RAM: 32GB
- Graphics Card: GeForce 730
- Storage: SSD and HDD drives
Solution 1: Updating the grub command
- During the Proxmox install boot menu, select “Install Proxmox” and press “e” to edit the command.
- Locate the line that says
quiet splash = silentand replace it with
F10to continue the installation.
- The installation should proceed without encountering the black screen problem.
Solution 2: Creating a Nvidia driver description
- If the first solution doesn’t work, switch to another terminal by using the hotkey combination
Ctrl + Alt + F1,
Ctrl + Alt + F2, and so on.
- On one of the terminals, you might see an error message like:
Unable to connect to the X server: Resource temporarily unavailable.
- Create a driver description file at
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-nvidia.confwith the following content:
Section “Device” Identifier “Card0” Driver “fbdev” BusID “pci0:01:0:0:” EndSection
- Run the command:
xinit -- -dpi 96 >/dev/tty2 2>&1
- The installation process should start, and you should be able to see it on the monitor.
By following these steps, you can resolve the black screen issue and successfully install Proxmox on your system